Systems Genetics Resources Workshop
May 12-13, 2011
Sponsored by the NIGMS Center for Genome Dynamics at The Jackson Laboratory
This invitation only meeting was held in the Willow Lounge of The William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education Conference Center. The Friday Center is in the Central Piedmont section of North Carolina, near the state capital, three major universities, the Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU), and the Research Triangle Park.
[ Agenda - May 3 PDF ]
[ Participants - May 4 PDF ]
8:30am - 5:00pm Thursday May 12, 2011
8:30am - 12:00 noon Friday May 13, 2011
Food and drinks:
See agenda for details. Breakfast, lunch and breaks were provided on both days. Dinner was provided on Thursday at 6:30pm. Please inform the meeting planner if you have any dietary restrictions.
Meeting participants booked their own travel. Detailed reimbursement rules are provided below.
The closest airport to the Friday Center is Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU).
Meeting participants booked their own accommodation. Detailed reimbursement rules are provided below.
The Courtyard by Marriott Chapel Hill hotel provides lodging next door to the Friday Center at 100 Marriott Way Chapel Hill, NC 27517. Ph: 919-883-0700. Fax: 919-883-0701. Check in time: 3:00pm. Check out time: 12:00pm.
Reservations by website - no longer available
Reservations by phone
Contact the hotel directly at: 1-919-883-0700
Toll free at: 1-800-321-2211
Billing / Credit Procedures Charges
All charges were the responsibility of the individual.
Incidental expenses of meeting participants were the responsibility of each guest.
Air travel purchased will only be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500.00 for domestic travel and $1,000.00 foreign travel with submitted detailed receipts and a completed expense form received by the meeting planner, Imogen Hurley, no later than 10 days after the last date of travel.
The following guidelines must be met, or there will be no reimbursement:
1. Per the “Fly America Act”, no foreign airline travel will be reimbursed unless the receipt is issued by a United States airline. US carrier codeshare list is available here.
2. In order to receive reimbursement at any level, air travel purchased independently must be booked according to the Lowest Logical Airfare Policy:
- Must be “Non Refundable” Economy Rate Tickets, First or Business-Class Tickets will not be reimbursed.
- Sister City Airport Discounts: Newark airport is cheaper than LaGuardia, Midway is cheaper than O'Hare and Dulles or Baltimore/Washington (BWI) is cheaper than Ronald Reagan National. When requesting flight information from authorized agencies, be sure to ask for alternative prices to sister city airports.
- Flight-Specific Discounts: Airlines sometimes offer special rates for travel in the morning, late at night or even specific days of the week. These discounts are designated "flight-specific" and, unfortunately, unless specifically requested, will not be volunteered by the carrier. If your timetable is flexible, advise the agent and they will research options and availability.
-Consolidators: Consolidators are volume airline ticket purchasers who pass on savings to the public. Primarily used on international routes, they can save from 10-40% and your agent may be able to book through this mechanism.
3. Change fees for air travel re-ticketing will not be reimbursed unless The Jackson Laboratory caused the necessity for changing the original ticketing.
Travel via personal vehicle
Visiting speakers that drive to the event using their personal vehicle will be reimbursed the official GSA personal vehicle use mileage rate in effect at the time of travel. Mileage must be recorded on the expense form provided to the speaker by the meeting planner. Expense forms must be received by the meeting planner no later than 10 days after the last date of travel.
The meeting planner has booked hotel room blocks for visiting speakers. These rooms are negotiated at substantially reduced rates and basic room charges will be reimbursed. Extras must be paid for by the speaker (room service, movies, etc). If a speaker chooses to stay elsewhere, and notifies the meeting planner in time to release the room at no charge to the Center, we will reimburse alternative lodging choices up to the same rate as the hotel room. Receipts are required and should be submitted with the expense form provided to the speaker by the meeting planner. Expense forms must be received by the meeting planner no later than 10 days after the last date of travel.
Expenses which will not be reimbursed
The following expenses will not be reimbursed:
- Rental cars
- Local ground transportation
- Meals (lunch and breaks will be provided at the meeting)
- Incidental expenses
- Charges for additional travel companions